Tuesday, January 13, 2009

TWD: Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins



I love cornbread and have made it, I’m sure, hundreds of times…well, maybe not hundreds but close enough. The point is that I’ve made repeatedly and never once did I even think to add cilantro or chili pepper. I’ve usually made it plain adding just corn kernels. As I was making this week’s TWD recipe (selected b
y Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake), I realized that while I am an adventuresome diner, I am not as adventuresome as a cook. Strange, that.

It isn’t a conscious choice. I guess it just doesn’t occur to me to go wild with a recipe. Oh, I’ve tweaked recipes here and there but overall, I think I’m pretty traditional and tend to color within the lines when cooking. This realization is rather a sad one. I mean, think about all the wonderful accidental discoveries I am missing. Even the not-so-wonderful accidents would be a shame to miss.

So, while I vowed not to make a new year’s resolution, I find I must make an exception…my new year’s resolution is to color outside the lines with one recipe out of every five I make. As Dories suggests in her book, I will “play around” when cooking.

BTW, these corn muffins were DEE-licious! It became one of my favorites at the first bite. And, they were very quick and so easy to make.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like the muffins. They look gorgeous. I tend to be a by-the-book person too when it comes to making things and otherwise I am an adventurous eater like you.

Pamela said...

Good luck on coloring outside the lines this year! It's one resolution I would like to keep myself. Nice job on the muffins. I love the pic of the butter, melting on them. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'd never thought about adding mix-ins to corn muffins, either. That's why I wanted to try them. Good luck with your NY resolution! Sounds like fun.

Jacque said...

Well, that's one nice thing about joining a cooking/baking blog, it forces you to try new things.

I'm glad you liked them.

Anonymous said...

I hardly think of making corn bread, much less adding chili powder and peppers to it! I loved these!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your resolution! It's a good one. And these were great for playing around with!