Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TWD: Tiramisu Cake


I am very particular about Tiramisu.  I find that most of the recipes are rather mediocre.  I tend not to order it in restaurants or buy it in bakeries because I find I am almost always disappointed at their attempts at what I believe is one of the great desserts mankind has created.  This wasn't always the case.  They all tasted great.  However, once I tasted how truly wonderful this dessert could be (thanks to a recipe I found about 17 years - will post it at a later date), all others paled in comparison.  

So, given my feelings about Tiramisu, my curiosity was high about this week's selection (chosen by Megan of My Baking Adventures).  
  

Well, things didn't turn out as expected.  My cake never rose.  It smelled amazing but it sat flat.  Not sure why.  The frosting was way too soft once I folded in the mascarpone (which I think is one of the major food groups).  It never would have held the cake together if I frosted it as one would a cake. 

So, I ended up finishing it off in the more traditional way, which means my Tiramisu Cake didn't turn out to be a cake at all.  Still, it was quite good.  I find it to be a bit too sweet for me but overall it wasn't too bad.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Bummer! Sorry the recipe didn't work for you this week.

Danielle said...

Sorry to hear yours didnt come together. It still looks tasty!

Kayte said...

Cake or not, this looks pretty darn good! I am sure my guys would have raved and raved about getting to eat some of this. Your photos are wonderful.

TeaLady said...

Actually, that looks very tasty. Almost like a plated parfait. Moist and tasty.

Megan said...

Sorry it wasn't your favorite - but I think it still looks pretty darn tasty!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Oh, too bad! My cake rose but my filling was runny like yours. I ended up thickening it with gelatin.

Please post your favorite tiramisu recipe -- I LOVE tiramisu and would love to have a good recipe!

Web Designing said...

Uniquely made tiramisu cake.. as long as it taste good and that deliciously looking.. I'd still prefer to eat it..

Jessie "a3 colour" Collin said...

it may look good or not.. still want to taste it..