Tuesday, February 3, 2009

TWD: World Peace Cookies



Couple of years ago, when I was traveling around the Yucatan with some friends, we stopped overnight at a sleepy little town.  The place we stayed at served us these chocolate cookies that were to die for.  The lady who made it for us, an American who was spending the summer there, ignored all our not-so-subtle hints to share the recipe with us.  The cookie was served warm and was chewy with a soft but crumbly texture.  My friends and I still talk about, and all my attempts at trying to recreate it failed.

That is, until now.  

My jaw just about dropped when I took my first bite of the World Peace cookie.  Woohoo!  This was it! I feeling like shouting and singing from the rooftops!  Woohoo!  Thanks to Dorie (and to Jessica of cookbookhabit), I now have my Yucatan chocolate cookie!  

I'm off to make another batch.  This time, I'm going to add some chili powder to the mix. Oh, happy day.  :-)

9 comments:

Pamela said...

Yeah! Success! That's a great story and some fabulous cookies! Good luck with the chili powder.

Lillian said...

They are marvelous cookies, aren't they?

Stacey said...

Chili Powder sounds like a great addition! I will try that one.t

Danielle said...

I am so glad you have been able to recreate the cookie from your past!
I wasnt to big on these cookies the first day but I made the 2nd batch last night and wow 3 days in the fridge make these cookies better then ever!

Unknown said...

That is so great that you finally tracked down the "secret" (now not-so-secret) recipe!

TeaLady said...

They ARE world traveled cookies! I want to try my next batch using the mexican chocolate which has cinnamon. Yours look great.

Anonymous said...

Yes, these are some serious jaw dropping cookies! Glad you loved them! Good luck with the chili powder! It sounds great!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Wow, what a fun story! How neat that you had these before and had been searching for the recipe. I bet your variation with chili powder will be amazing :)

Bungalow Barbara said...

How great that you found the recipe for the cookies you loved! And what a beautiful plate you used to serve them, too. Enjoy!