Monday, December 1, 2008

TWD Update: Kugelhopf


I was planning to lug the kugelhopf with me on my business trip since I made it the day before I was to leave.  My tasting panel from work were traveling with me so I knew it wouldn't go to waste.  However, it wouldn't fit in my bag, and I didn't want another bag to carry on board.  With the way the airlines are going, they probably would have charged me $25 to take it on board.  I put the slices in a ziploc airtight container and threw in the fridge knowing it would be stale when I got back. What else could I do?

When I got back a week later, I was pleasantly surprised that it had kept pretty well.  In fact, I had to leave it out all day and overnight for it to go somewhat stale so that I could satisfy my craving for french toast.  Which, by the way, were out of this world if I may say so myself.  I didn't need any maple syrup.  It was perfect.


It's worth making the kugelhopf just so that I can make french toast again.  I made the whole batch and froze it so that I could have them at the ready whenever I had a french toast craving...at least until it runs out. 


French Toast
(enough for one 9-10 inch kugelhopf or about 12 slices of stale bread)

5 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp salt

Slice the bread (kugelhopf, challah, Hawaiian sweet bread, baguette) into 1 inch slices and leave out so they dry out.  The drier the bread slices, the better they will soak up the egg/milk mixture.

Mix the eggs, salt, sugar and milk in a shallow dish. Soak the stale bread slices in the mixture until the bread slices are soaked through with the mixture, turning once. Cook on a hot, greased skillet or frying pan.

You can also add cinnamon, vanilla, and/or orange zest to the mixture.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Your French toast looks awesome. Panetone also makes yummy French toast.

Thanks for the welcome.

Sweet as Coco said...

OMG,Jo this looks absolutely AH-MAZING! I can't wait to make this now! All I want is this French toast! I actually saw this in my William Sonoma Christmas book last night...and here it is on your page from TWD. Welcome to TWD! Newbies rule. :)

Anonymous said...

kugelhopf french toast sounds delicious.

TourGuide Jenn said...

I really love French toast, and you may just make me change my mind about making another Kugelhopf! Looks plenty yummy. A "welcome to TWD" right back at ya!

Jacque said...

Oooh, good idea, making french toast out of it. Wish I'd have thought of that.