Tuesday, November 25, 2008

TWD: Thanksgiving Twofer Pie


First.  This was the easiest and quickest recipe I have ever put together.
Second.  When will I learn that appearances can be deceiving? Very deceiving.

This recipe was so quick and easy that by the time I put it together (which took all of five minutes), I was feeling preeetty confident. That lasted until I started filling the pie crust with the filling.  I used a frozen pie crust (don't own a food processor and didn't feel up to making it by hand) and it ended up being too shallow so I had some filling left over.

I noticed that the pumpkin filling seemed very watery and when I sprinkled the pecans, half of them just sunk to the bottom as did the pecan filling.  I started to have doubts and carefully reread the ingredients list and the instruction.  For the first time I had followed everything exactly as directed but the pie did not look like it should - or at least the way I thought it should look.  I was convinced something was wrong and was resigned to having it be a total flop.  


I decided to continue as directed and not make any changes to the oven temperature or baking time. I was skeptical and did not expect the pie to be done after the allotted 45 minutes. But lo and behold...when I poked at the center, it wasn't jiggly! It had actually firmed up.  Time for a happy dance!


I couldn't wait to taste it but decided to leave it alone until the next day and share it with my gang at the office. This was all that was left less than one hour after I placed it on the table. 


Lesson learned:  Never doubt Dorie Greenspan's recipes.

11 comments:

vibi said...

Thank you soooo much Jo, for participating with me thise week!
I'm very happy it all turned out fine in the end and that you had such success at work with your beautiful pie!
A very happy Thanksgiving to you!

Rachel said...

I always think I am doing something wrong, but then I check the P&Q and 99% of the time, I am doing it right!

Keep the faith, your pie looks delish!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the filling was liquidy. This recipe was soooo good though. YUM!

Engineer Baker said...

Haha, it looks like a winner to me :) Nice job, and happy Thanksgiving!

Shelby said...

Looks like it was a hit!

Carla said...

Glad to know the pie came out great!!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Sounds like you made a very tasty pie! Great job!

Unknown said...

Your crust looks beautiful!

The Shulls said...

What a yummy pie!! Can I have a slice? I know... I made the same, but for some reason yours looks amazing!!!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

B said...

I wasn't going to say it, but my crust was store bought too. I know, I know but I just couldn't take the failure of a bad crust. I'm weak. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do.

Patricia said...

Thanks for the welcome note! The pie was a very satisfying first assignment as it was a success, as clearly yours was too. There's something about the picture with the lone slice that makes it look even more delicious!