Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TWD: Dimply Plum Cake


Boy, is this recipe forgiving!

It was a Murphy's Law kind of day.  My brain decided to take a holiday that day and did not return until the next morning.  I don't know why I thought it would be a good time to bake. I think I did everything I could to sabotage this recipe.

First, I decided that seeing double when reading was normal and ended up reading "2 eggs" instead of "3 eggs."  Well, I did not have 3 eggs, only 2.  But I did have egg whites so I added 3 tablespoons of the egg whites. I was sooo pleased with myself. Only after having thoroughly beaten in the eggs and the egg whites, I decided I should break out the reading glasses (which I don't need often...yet) and perched them on the tip of my nose. 

Surprise, surprise.  Imagine my disbelief at seeing "2 eggs."  Still I persevered and continued on. When the batter was ready, I happily placed the cake into the preheated oven then set the timer.  


Ding! DIng! The timer went off, and I eagerly went to take the cake out of the oven. The cake looked weird.  It looked raw.  Well, probably because it was.  It was only half done. I stood there in front of the open oven gaping and scratching my head in puzzlement when I noticed the oven thermometer.

Don't ask me how it happened.  I set it at the correct temperature, 350.  Truly, I did.  Really. I cross my heart.  The little spindle thingy in the thermometer pointed toward 300.  

Well, at this point, I decided I really had nothing to lose so I cranked up the oven to 375 and left it in the oven for another 20 minutes.

And voilà!


The edges weren't burnt, just a bit over-caramelized.  I left it alone until the next morning and dug in.  The verdict?  I have just one thing to say...Dorie, I love you.  You are a genius.

This is a scrumptious cake no matter what you try to do to it.  It's moist, not too sweet and very, very tasty.  I will definitely make this again and again and again. But next time I'll have my reading glasses on and triple-check the oven temperature.

Thank you to Michelle of Bake-en for choosing this recipe for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie.


7 comments:

Cathy said...

This looks great! And I am so glad to know that the recipe is forgiving, because boy, do I ever need recipes that work despite my efforts to ruin them! A lot of people had issues with the cake being undercooked; I think next time I might try it at 375 to begin with and see what happens. Great job, and welcome to TWD!

Debbie said...

Your's looks good!! Mine, not so good. It was late, I felt I had to do it...AND, 2 of my plums were missing! Thieves, I tell ya.
Welcome to TWD.

Prudy said...

Welcome-so glad it turned out despite a few curveballs. I know lots of people had trouble with raw cake after the alloted baking time.

Marthe said...

You cake looks delicious, despite all the mishaps! Welcome to TWD!!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

You sound like me in the kitchen! I forgot to put the sugar in this cake and had to scrape it all out of the pan to add it. I have a blueberry banana bread that I've made without eggs, without sugar, and with only half the flour (3 separate times!) and it always seems to turn out. Talk about forgiving... Good to know that about this cake. Yours looks delicious. "Overcaramelized" has got to be a good thing. Yummy.
Nancy

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Your cake looks delicious! I have had days where my brain turns off too. :) Welcome to TWD

Bungalow Barbara said...

Adding extra egg may actually have helped -- I found the cake turned out too dry. Yours looks delicious!