Monday, September 1, 2008

Last Gasps of Summer

Around this time each year, a countdown suddenly begins in my head, and I feel a quiet desperation.  I get this sudden urge to buy every piece of fruit I see, especially peaches and watermelon.  Now that I think about it, I get the same urge with berries in mid-summer...you should have seen the blueberries I hoarded!

Anyway, just yesterday I bought two baskets of peaches from the Greenmarket at Union Square.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I can't possible consume all of it before it starts getting brown, icky and inedible.  They're all sitting in my fridge right now which helps to keep it longer but I'll have to figure out what to do with them.  There are only so many peach cobblers, upside down peach cake, arugula salad with peaches, grilled cheese and peaches and prosciutto with peaches and balsamic vinaigrette I can take.
   

Here's my dinner from the night before when I used up the last of the two kinds of watermelon I got last week.  I chopped up some smoked salmon (inspired from the appetizer I had at Tabla), sprinkled on some Kalamata olives, and drizzled some lemon vinaigrette.  Not my best attempt...perhaps, some sea salt would have helped or maybe feta.  There was something (or maybe many things) missing.  I'll have to work on this one.


No comments: